Thursday, July 7th:
NATIONAL CALL-IN DAY TO SUPPORT HIV/AIDS PROGRAMS!
Tell Congressional Leadership and President Obama that cutting programs vital to people with HIV/AIDS is no way to reduce the deficit!
- Last week, Congressional negotiations to reduce the federal deficit hit a roadblock, putting at risk critical services upon which millions of Americans rely, including persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- The Ryan White Program, Medicaid, housing, prevention and other programs that make up the social safety net for vulnerable Americans with HIV/AIDS are on the line.
- Congressional leadership is negotiating an agreement to reduce the deficit and set new spending limits now. It is scheduled to vote on this isssue sometime before August 2nd.
Please call Congressional Leadership and President Obama and tell them to prevent harmful cuts and caps to health care and low-income programs, including those that impact persons with HIV/AIDS, in negotiations to reduce the deficit.
Please help make these critical calls now!
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), 202-224-3542
- House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), 202-225-0600
- President Barack Obama, 202-456-1111
Please note that it may take a few minutes to be connected to a live operator with whom you can leave a message.
These calls MUST be placed before 5:00PM EST – the White House comment line closes for the day at that time.
WHAT TO SAY:
Please call the offices listed above with this message:
“I am calling to ask Senator Reid/Speaker Boehner/President Obama to prevent harmful cuts and caps to health care and low-income programs, including those that impact persons living with HIV/AIDS, such as the Ryan White Program, Medicaid, housing and prevention programs!
Balancing the budget on the backs of vulnerable Americans, including those living with HIV, is wrong, will potentially cost lives, and will cut jobs in the health care and human needs sectors.
Early and reliable access to HIV care, treatment, and support helps people with HIV live healthy and productive lives and is cost effective. Investing in HIV prevention today translates into greater health and less spending in the future.
In my state/district, such programs are greatly needed, because (insert local details or tell personal story).
If you have questions, please contact __________________________, thank you!”
HIV Prevention Justice Alliance
AIDS Foundation of Chicago
200 W. Jackson Blvd, Suite 2200, Chicago IL 60606
Tel: 312-784-9048 • firstname.lastname@example.org